Saturday, December 22, 2012

Madan Senki Ryukendo


Madan Senki Ryukendo


Ryuguno, Ryukendo, and Ryujino

So this is going to be my first Tokusatsu (term for Japanese Superhero TV shows) feature and Toy Review. When I was a kid, I was such a huge fan of Japanese TV shows (dubbed in Filipino) like Bio-Man, Masked Man, Jet Man, Shaider, Masked Rider, and the likes. For me, it was one of the most coolest TV shows back then because of their high adrenaline action combined with a dramatic storyline and giant robots fighting giant monsters. This continued when Saban released the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (franchised from a Japanese Super Sentai show) which totally blew me away at that time because of the American version that seemed to be easier on the ear. But my interest for Tokusatsu shows died down when Power Rangers began to air different versions for every new season. Lately though, I've come to rediscover the magic of shows like these when I stumbled upon a Super Sentai (Power Rangers) v.s. Kamen Rider (Masked Rider) movie which was titled Super Hero Wars. What I like most about that movie is that the main protagonists (Kamen Rider Decade and Gokai Red) had the ability to transform into past Riders and Sentais. It made me feel nostalgic seeing the old Tokusatsu heroes come alive in the small screen again. 




My first Takara Ryukendo Action Figure

But for this review, what I have here are not from the same company that produced the Tokusatsu heroes that I just mentioned (they were produced/supported by leading Japanese TV and Film producer Toei and leading Japanese toy company Bandai). What I have here is The Madan Senki Ryukendo, the first Tokusatsu TV series/toy line produced by rival Japanese toy company Takara Tomy (of the Microman toy line fame). Takara for the uninitiated is also the owner of the original Transformers, the Diaclone toy line (the original name of Transformers). It is actually not part of  my toy diet to purchase action figures that I have no background of. This toy line broke tradition because I found them to be cool. The first figure I bought was the black one, Madan Swordsman Ryujino. I found him in Hong Kong while hunting for Marvel Legends. I just had to buy him the moment I laid my eyes on him. At first I thought that this was a Kamen Rider because of the cool looking motorbike. But I was wrong. And that kind of initial perception was what actually doomed this show.


Maybe Takara did visualize this show to rival Bandai's Kamen Riders, only they wanted to make this show even better. Because I don't ever recall Kamen Rider bikes transforming into animal robots and the likes. And since I don't have any background on this show, I consulted the ever reliable Wikipedia and other websites like Jefusion to gather some information about the show (though I'm also currently trying to find a copy of the TV show). These Tokusatsu heroes are heroes that can summon the animal spirits of the earth to help them battle Demon Beasts. These animal spirits (which they call JuuOh) has the ability to transform into stronger versions (ChouJuuOh) when the heroes power up to God Ryukendo and Master Ryuguno. So the show utilizes transforming beast robots that aids the heroes in combating the evil forces with some of these beast robots having the ability to transform into the heroes' motorbikes. I only have one figure that has this motorbike transforming JuuOh, the rest that I got does not have that ability. Below will be a brief feature on the three heroes as well as the accompanying toy review. For more info about the show, visit the links that I posted above.



Madan Swordsman Ryukendo
Fire Ryukendo
He is the primary character of the show and also the most powerful one. He possess 5 JuuOhs (I only own one of his JuuOh). His main JuuOh is Brave Leon, which can transform into a three wheeled motorcycle and can be powered up to become God Leon. His first powered up form is called Fire Ryukendo (the one that I have). This form is aided by the gorilla JuuOh, Fire Kong. The Fire Kong can transform into cannons. Fire Ryukendo utilizes flame based attacks. His second powered up form is the Aqua Ryukendo. His accompanying JuuOh is the Aqua Shark which can turn into a hover board. This form utilizes water and ice based attacks. His third powered up form is the Thunder Ryukendo. His accompanying JuuOh is the Lightning/Thunder Eagle (which I also have but I'm lending it to Ryuguno). The Thunder Eagle can transform into a set of wings that can give Ryukendo the power of flight. This form utilizes the power of lightning and electricity. The last powered up form is the Ultimate Ryukendo, with Ultimate Dragon as his JuuOh. Ultimate Ryukendo can combine all the four JuuOh to create the powerful Raijin Dragon. Later on the show, by combining Ryuguno, Ryujino, and the Jamanga Grim Goblin, he became Madan Swordsman God Ryukendo. I think all in all, there are five figures for Ryukendo in this particular toy line. The default one, Fire Ryukendo, Aqua Ryukendo, Thunder Ryukendo, and Ultimate Ryukendo. I managed to acquire the Fire Ryukendo with Fire Kong and the Lighting Eagle online. 


Fire Ryukendo with Fire Kong

The Toy Review: I think these figures are hard to find here in the Philippines. I initially planned on selling the Ryujino figure I bought from Hong Kong but eventually decided against it when I found Fire Ryukendo (though I was hoping for the basic form) and Ryuguno on an online shop along with Fire Kong and Lightning Eagle. The figures I got online were without their accessories but I managed to find Ryukendo's sword (GekiRyuKen) online too. But this sword is not for this particular Ryukendo toy line, I think this is from the 7 inch Vinyl Ryukendo figures. So that explains why in the photo it looks considerably larger and out of proportion to Ryukendo. But I love the exaggerated look it brings to Ryukendo as his weapon. The figure has an awesome amount of paint details, matching the gold, blue, and red colors nicely. Though sometimes you couldn't make out his face but I guess that's how the costume design was made. The figure is articulated with a ball jointed neck, ball jointed shoulders,swivel wrists, ball jointed hips, and hinged knees. Too bad it lacks an elbow articulation though. But Takara did release a more articulated figure through their Ryukendo Microman series toy line.


Fire Kong

Fire Kong on the other hand looks imposing with his body colors and his size. It reminds me a lot of the Transformers character Hot Rod because of it's colors. In fact it also has shades of how Optimus Prime looks with how it's face was designed to look like. It features multiple points of articulation such as swivel neck, swivel arms, swivel biceps, swivel hips, hinged ankles and other necessary articulations that are needed when he is transformed into a cannon. Once transformed into a cannon, it can be attached on Fire Ryukendo's back and allow a mechanism to light up the blue crystal on Ryukendo's chest. (See photo below)

"Exploding Burning Slash"

Madan Gunman Ryuguno
Madan Gunman Ryuguno Ryuguno is the older member of the group. He became Ryuguno first before Ryukendo made an appearance in the show. He was named Gunman for a reason. And that reason is because he possesses a gun (my figure does not come with his gun accessory though, so I had to settle for something else). His JuuOh is Buster Wolf, which also transforms into a motorcycle. He really is not that old (only 25 years of age) but Ryukendo is calling him old because of his standing as the oldest Madan Warrior. Unlike Ryukendo, Ryuguno only possess one JuuOh. But this basic form assumed a stronger form called Magna Ryuguno later on the show.

 

Ryuguno with Lightning Eagle

The Toy Review: Unfortunately, the Ryuguno figure that I bought does not come with his gun accessory (GouRyuGun). So I had to settle with a similarly colored weapon (a boomerang staff blade or something) that I believe comes from a Kamen Rider figure. The matching colors of the weapon with Ryuguno's suit though fits with the figure nicely. Having Ryuguno as a gunman is kinda silly anyway because Ryukendo and Ryujino both possess sharp melee based weapons. The figure shares the same articulation with the Ryukendo figure. Though the colors for the suit kinda looks bland because of the merging of light colored red and gray with white. Fortunately though, the gold color breaks the blandness of mismatched colors nicely. I also lent Ryukendo's Lightning Eagle to Ryuguno because the figure came by his lonesome.


Lightning Eagle

While the Fire Kong looks imposing, Lightning Eagle comes with a sleek design. The yellow and grayish combination makes it look like an eagle that is made of lightning. It comes with a number of articulation that is needed for it to transform into wings for Ryukendo. Basic articulation as an eagle features flapping wings, swivel hips, and hinged ankles. All of the Ryukendo figures also share similarly sculpted body contours, making their accompanying JuuOhs interchangeable with each other. Even the lighting chest gimmick works fine. That's where I got the idea of pairing Lightning Eagle with Ryuguno. (The photo of Ryuguno with the Lightning Eagle transformed into wings can be found below).


"Exploding Thunder Lightning Slash"


Madan Fighter Ryujino


Madan Fighter Ryujino
Ryujino (like other basic Tokusatsu shows) is the staple mysterious wanderer/anti-hero. At first, he does not work with both Ryukendo and Ryuguno. Waging instead a battle on his own against the Jamanga while also fighting against SHOT, the organization that both Ryukendo and Ryuguno belong to. But later on the show, he teams up with Ryukendo and Ryuguno in battling the Jamanga evil forces when he realized that SHOT was not the one who was responsible for his parent's death. His JuuOh is the raven Delta Shadow. Delta Shadow can also combine with Ryujino to give him the power of flight. Later on the show, Delta Shadow gains the ability to transform into a motorcycle. Like Ryuguno, Ryujino only possesses one JuuOh. He also became Ultimate Ryujino towards the final episodes of the show.




Ryujino with Delta Shadow

 Toy Review: I managed to get into this toy line because of this figure. Like what I related earlier, when I saw him on the toy shelf of a Hyper Market in Hong Kong, I just had to buy him. I was impressed with this toy's ability to transform into a motorcycle and a raven, while also having an accompanying action figure. I initially thought that this was a Kamen Rider because the packaging's window showed this figure with a motorcycle. It was also because of this figure that I was encouraged to research on the world of Tokusatsu. I'm not really a big Transformers kind of guy with the transforming robots, vehicles, and all. But I was practically impressed with the presentation and concept of this toy. Ryujino shares the same articulation with the aforementioned figures above. And because I bought him mint in sealed box, he comes with his battle axe (ZanRyuJin). I also love the color scheme for this figure. The gold colors matches the black colors nicely. 


Delta Shadow

Delta Shadow looks much more imposing than Lightning Eagle came out to look because of it's size which is considerably bigger compared to the former. It also kinda comes with a slightly different articulation than Lightning Eagle. And like Ryujino's suit colors, Delta Shadow looks menacing. Delta Shadow can transform into a flight device that gives Ryujino the power of flight (as seen below). When attached to Ryujino, it also activates the figure's chest light gimmick. Delta Shadow can also transform into a motorcycle (second and third photos below) wherein the figure's chest also lights up when you attach the figure's feet on the cycle's foot rest.


"RenGeki!"
Ryujino with Delta Shadow motorcycle form

Delta Shadow Cycle



Ryukendo as a TV series had a lot of promise according to the various websites that did a review on the TV show. It was just unfortunate that being pigeonholed as a Kamen Rider rip-off caused it's demise instead of finding the qualities that differentiates them. Too bad it couldn't shake off that negative stigma. But hopefully I could find the entire series and see for myself if indeed Ryukendo had a lot of promise as what other bloggers have said. But as a toy line, this for me has to be one of the most fun toy line that I own.

No comments:

Post a Comment