Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Mattel: Movie Masters Man of Steel Superman

Mattel Movie Masters Man of Steel

I have finally purchased my own Mattel Movie Masters Man of Steel Superman figure. For this entry, I'm going to do an updated review in supplement to the quick review that I just did a couple of entries back. I will also give out additional details (spoiler free) about the Man of Steel movie from what I have gathered in my research. Read on below.


Henry Cavill is Superman

Man of Steel is the sixth big screen adaptation of the first and greatest Superhero of all time, Superman. After the unsuccessful relaunch of Superman via the movie Superman Returns (which was starred by Brandon Routh as Superman), Warner and DC teams up with Legendary Pictures to reboot the big screen adaptation of Superman by offering a Superman for the current generation. Titled Man of Steel, the new Superman movie will take us back to the humble origins of Superman's Kryptonian heritage, his journey growing up in a world that is not quite his own, and his realization of what's the purpose of his existence in his adopted planet. The movie will be directed by Zack Snyder (300, Watchmen) under the guiding hands of Producer Chris Nolan (Director of the Dark Knight Trilogy). The duo promises that this movie will showcase Superman's different side, with his characterization being grounded to his adopted planet. They also promised lots of fighting sequences and an action packed movie. The movie also stars Amy Adams as Lois Lane, Laurence Fishburne as Perry White, Russell Crowe as Jor El, Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent, Diane Lane as Martha Kent, and Michael Shannon as General Zod. The movie will be released on June 14, 2003.

Official Synopsis

A young boy learns that he has extraordinary powers and is not of this Earth. As a young man he journeys to discover where he came from and what he was sent here to do. But the hero in him must emerge if he is to save the world from annihilation and become the symbol of hope for all mankind.

Man of Steel is directed by Zack Snyder, from a script by David S. Goyer and screen story by Goyer and Christopher Nolan. It stars Henry Cavill, Amy Adams, Michael Shannon, Antje Traue, Diane Lane, Kevin Costner, Laurence Fishburne, Russell Crowe, Ayelet Zurer, Christopher Meloni, Harry Lennix and Michael Kelly.


Movie Masters Man of Steel Packaging

I'll start my action figure review proper by taking a look at the packaging. I've already said my piece on my quick review of this figure a week ago, so there's not much to add. But I have to say that the "S" shield embossed plastic bubble looks fabulous. MOC (Mint on Card) collectors will surely love the presentation of the figure as the plastic bubble gives us a good look of Superman inside the packaging.


Card Back

The card back gives us a good look of the other figures in this wave as well as a brief character bio of the figure. Wave One is composed of Superman, Jor-El and General Zod. From what I've gathered, Jor-El will be the chase figure as he is packaged one per case. General Zod on the other hand is a bland figure. I chose to get Superman first (because he's Superman) and maybe down the line get the other two as well. Faora is announced as part of Wave Two, but there isn't any announcement yet of the other figures that would come with her. I'm crossing my fingers that Mattel won't cancel Wave two as they have a habit of suddenly canceling future waves.  

The figure with the "S" Shield base stand

The figure does not come with any accessory except for the "S" Shield base. I would have welcomed  collect and connect pieces to come with the figure as it would have motivated me to complete the line. But I guess, just like with the Dark Knight Movie Masters, the strength of Superman alone as an iconic character would be enough motivation for toy collectors to complete the line. After all, Superman and Batman is bigger and more popular than Green Lantern (who had to come with a Parallax collect and connect pieces).


"S" Shield base of the Man of Steel "S" Shield Design

In my past quick review, I mistakenly stated that the "S" shield base was the back drop of the figure. My apologies for that one. But in reality, the "S" shield base is actually smaller and is located behind the Superman Movie Masters package design.


Close Up shot of the Henry Cavill/Superman Action Figure

One of the things that I noticed with the Movie Masters Superman's face paints is that majority of the figures that were released has Superman sporting a light shade of black on the chin and cheeks. It is as if Superman has a slight beard growing on him. In the movie stills that we saw, Clark Kent/Henry Cavill sported a beard before he became Superman. So I don't know if there is any reason why the figure's face is sporting the slight beard, But I managed to chose a figure that does not sport that slight beard. Is this a factory mistake? A possible variant? That I don't know but majority of the figures that I saw sported one. I carefully chose and nabbed the figure that does not sport that beard. If someone can verify what's going on with the facial hair (if this was with the approval of Warner/DC) do let me know. I'm curious as to why most of the figures sports that slight beard.


Movie Master's New Articulation

The articulation of the figure is pretty standard DCUC (ball jointed neck, ball hinged shoulders, swivel biceps, wrists, waist, and thighs, pivot torso, hinged elbows and knees, double pivot hips and ankles) but without the pivot torso. It would have been better if he sported that pivot torso, but nonetheless the articulation is sufficient enough. The ball jointed neck though should have been of better range in terms of it's movement. We can't tilt the head upwards good enough for dynamic flying poses. Though it can be tilted with Superman looking down. (see photos)


Flying pose

Superman looking down on the camera

Highly Detailed

Previously, I ranted about the final presentation of this figure versus the press photos of the figure that were released. But I must say the figure looks awesome. The sculpt looks great because of the amount of details that was given to this figure. The alien suit's scaly designs is spot on in this figure. There were also no paint slops on this figure. I just have to comment though that the plastics used on this figure (particularly the fists) is that of the rubbery kind. The wrists' swivel pegs seems to be soft compared to the past Movie Masters and DCUC.  


Superman's "S" Shieldless cape

Man of Steel's Superman also does not come with an "S" shield on it's cape. I think the "S" Shield on Superman's cape was popularized by the first big screen Superman, Christopher Reeve. The cape is also longer than the usual Superman capes. The cape is composed of soft rubbery plastic, more in similar (or even softer) to Mattel's DCSH Superman than their DCUC Superman.


Majestic!

Superman flexes his muscles
I've read in the forums where some collectors were remarking that the Superman figure seems to have long arms but I don't find it here. It actually looks proportionate for me. I think this is because the forearms is thinner (or lacks defined muscles) than the usual figures, so it makes the forearms look extended.

Movie Masters Man of Steel and Superman Returns basic figure (5 inch)

Scale wise, I find the Superman Movie Masters action figures at approximately six inches in height. See  more photos below of the different size comparisons with the other toy lines


(L-R) Movie Masters Green Lantern, Superman, and Scarecrow
Compared with the previous Movie Masters, Superman is slightly taller. In the photo above, it is seen that he is much taller than Green Lantern and Scarecrow (pardon for his usage, I don't have a Movie Masters Batman with me at the moment). I think this won't be much of a distraction for the scale nazis. After all Superman should be bigger than the average human being.


(L-R) DC Universe All-Stars New 52 Superman, Movie Masters Superman, and DC  Comics Unlimited Injustice Superman

When compared to DCUC/DCAS/DCCU, the Movie Masters figure looks slightly smaller. But he won't be a problem when displayed together with the aforementioned toy lines. If anything, having Movie Masters Superman's size scale to be in between DCUC and the past Movie Masters is a brilliant move by Mattel as this would make the figure have seamless display opportunities for both lines. Back then, a lot of collectors were mumbling about the Movie Masters Batman's smallish size scale when compared with DCUC.

(L-R) Mattel Heat Vision Superman Returns, Custom Christopher Reeve Superman, Movie Masters Superman, and Custom Tom Welling Superman.
I do have my qualms though with the Movie Masters Superman when displayed side by side with the 7 inch scale of past big screen Supermen. But what the heck, these are from my personal collections, so not everyone owns this. This qualm is not counted. The Superman Returns figure is from the Mattel Heat Vision Superman. The Custom Christopher Reeve Superman is made of DC Direct New Krypton Commander Kal El Head (based on the art of Gary Frank who based his Superman art on Christopher Reeve's appearance) and DC Direct History of the DC Universe Superman body. The Custom Tom Welling Superman on the other hand is made of DC Direct Smallville Justice Series Tom Welling head and Mattel Heat Vision Superman body. Man, they look good together. They'll serve as the centerpiece of my Superman action figure collection.


Superman at the Daily Planet

As for my final thoughts, this figure is definitely a must buy for Superman collectors. This is actually my most expensive single Superman Action Figure to date. I normally don't spend a huge amount for a single figure but this is well worth it. I should have also opted to purchase Movie Masters Jor El and General Zod along with this figure but the price is just too expensive for my budget. As of now, I can only afford to buy Superman. But who knows, once the movie comes out and I'll get blown away by Jor El and General Zod, I might get both by then. I'm just crossing my fingers though that Jor El's price won't shoot up. My speculation is that Jor El's value would likely shoot up because he is the only six inch Jor El action figure released. Again, this is a must have Superman. So if you see this one on the shelves, don't let it slip out of your hands. Now the long wait for the movie begins. I can't wait to finally see the movie. June is too long for me. Though I'm not that excited with the costume change (as I prefer the classic one, the one with the red trunks), the new costume has grown on me. The details of this as Krypton's inner suit is only fitting. Superman is an alien, the suit is alien, but his heart is human. I'm sure Man of Steel will blow the audiences away. (More photos below)


Henry Cavill 

Flight
Christopher Reeve pose?
Superman!
Punching a hole

Ready for action

Daily Planet

Up Up and away!

Battle of two Supermen: Superman Returns' Brandon Routh v.s. Man of Steel's Henry Cavill

Welcome to the Club!

Supermen: (L-R) Tom Welling, Christopher Reeve, Henry Cavill, and Brandon Routh


Check out the latest trailer here:


12 comments:

  1. great, informative review and awesome pix! what is the Daily Planet background you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comments. That's from a Superman Returns Matchbox Daily Planet set. I'll do a separate review of it in the future. It comes with a mini Superman Returns figurine and a Lex Luthor figurine as well as a toy car and Luthor's yacht :)

      Delete
    2. very cool.. thank you! I just may pick that up if i need a background for my Superman figures.....still no Movie Masters in my local Toys R Us or Target yet, but did get the little Hardee's figure last night...best $1.08 I ever spent!

      Delete
    3. I'm kinda disappointed that there are no Hardee's here in my country. Can you share a photo of that meal toy? :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sure! how do I attach an image??

    ReplyDelete
  4. here ya go! this work ok?

    http://popasylum.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Photo05240941.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The photo is kinda blurry but that's alright. A local fastfood chain here in the Philippines has released a Man of Steel figurine for their Kid's meal too. here it is
      http://actionfigureplanet.blogspot.com/2013/06/jollibee-kiddie-meal-man-of-steel.html

      does the carl's jr. figurine have any articulation?

      Delete
  5. aha, sorry about bad pic.. this one better?http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-yMK5mf4TGCA/UaR13VoT48I/AAAAAAAAVGQ/xX01E8q6L7s/s640/carlsjrmos002.jpg

    and nope no articulation...i like the figure you got! cool pose. but having two mini-movie Batman and Superman figures on my monitor at work? is kinda neat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it has an action feature. It's better than that carl's jr. figurine

      Delete
  6. Super work made a steel superman icon here. Children buy a super toy .!

    http://costmasters.blogspot.in/

    ReplyDelete