Monday, October 8, 2012

Collecticon 2012




Collecticon 2012

It's been a while since I posted an entry in this blog. Got busy with work related stuffs but I managed to find time to visit this year's collecticon event. Collecticon is the third major toy event in the Philippines. Personally, I think this event was a downer for me because I wasn't able to get the action figures that I've been hunting (DCNU Superman, Mattel Ghostbusters). But, I managed to snag a couple of back issues of the comic books issues that were missing in my collection. In previous toy events like these, I spend most of my time hunting action figures and ignore the comic book bins. But lately here in the Philippines, I noticed that there seems to be a growing number of back issues being sold on Hobby Shops. Makes me wonder where they source these back issues. It's actually a sad thing that the last few remaining Major Comic Book stores in the country are either closing shop or downsizing. Take for instance Filbar's Comics, I heard that they will be discontinuing their comic book orders on new issues. I guess they'll be relegated to selling unsold back issues or maybe bringing in back issues? Their action figures section is now being mainly supplied by Big Boys Toys, and with Big Boys bringing in back issues in their own Hobby Shop, I wouldn't be surprised if Big Boy's will eventually be Filbar's main comic book supplier. Comic Odyssey/Planet X is also downsizing their Robinson's Manila branch. But I think they made a wise move of renting a floor space in Fullybooked Bonifacio High Street. Fullybooked is Manila's counterpart to the U.S.' Barnes and Noble. At least those who read books would be able to check out single issue comic books of their liking. I guess the presence of Graphic Novels in the comic book market has eaten the share of the single comic book issues' sales. Majority of the casual readers prefer the Graphic Novels/Collected Editions than buying single issues. But what am I talking about, this is a blog entry about Collecticon, not about comic books.


DC-MOTUC Display Volunteers

I've been a part of a Facebook group that is composed of DC and Masters of the Universe collectors. Collecticon 2012 was our first major appearance as a group. We are very happy and thankful for the warm reception that we got from the organizers of the event. We contributed in this event by displaying some of our collections for the public to see and oogle at. Initially I was supposed to volunteer my Vintage Justice League toys from different lines but had to pull out because of my uncertainty to commit to the group's preparations. Busy work would not permit me but I think personally it was a good thing that I backed out. Because, the actual display was plain awesome. In fact it was something that really caught the attention of those who viewed the different toy displays. Jeffrey Velasquez's Custom Doomsday was a crowd drawer. Using Toybiz's Legendary Super Heroes Pitt's body as base figure, the custom Doomsday showed it's monstrosity at the event. The group decided to do two dioramas for the event. One featuring the JLA heroes battling a monstrous beast called Doomsday (the beast that killed Superman back in the 90's), and A Masters of The Universe Dio featuring He-Man and the heroes of Eternia battling the evil forces of Skeletor. Though I was a big fan of the show, I couldn't get myself to buy MOTUC figures because these were not available at retail. So I decided to skip the line. But after seeing my groupmates' collections, I'm beginning to think twice of entirely skipping the line. Maybe a He-Man and Skeletor figure would do. But I always end up getting motivated to complete a toy line after getting one of my feet wet. Being with the DC-MOTUC group means that I'm subjecting myself to be badly influenced by the MOTUC collections. Oh well.



Photos from the Different Toy Display Showcase

DC-MOTUC Toy Display

Closer look at the JLA v.s. Doomsday dio (with HT Superman and Batman)

Masters of the Universe battling the Evil Forces of Eternia
Robot Collectors Haven  Showcase 1
Robot Collectors Haven Showcase 2
Some Robot Customs
Hasbro representations of Marvel Legends Villains, Star Wars, and Marvel Universe
Some custom base and whatnot. Not quite familiar with these except for Voltes V
Hot Toys on Display (Featuring Filipino Billiards Great Efren Bata Reyes and All-Time Filipino Boxer Great Manny Pacquiao)

Awesome HT Robocop Display
HT Predator Showcase
 
Busts and Stats


Some sellers and their Display Booths

Cool Republic's stall
Not quite sure but is this Japanimation's Stall?
Akumag/Robin's Toy Shop
GI Joes for Sale
Raddj Toys
Some cool vintage stuffs in this stall
Another of Raddj's stall
Some cool robots being sold here
JAE Collectibles, spent most of my money on this stall
Uncle Sam's
Playkit?
Uncle Sam's DCUCs
I still dream of owning this cool Legion of Super Heroes Box Set


My Collecticon Hauls


Mattel Action League

Though I couldn't find the figures that I've been looking for, I'm happy that I was able to acquire these cute Mattel DC Action League mini figures. Of course Hasbro's Marvel Superhero Squad was the first toy line that featured kid friendly figures, but I couldn't find myself buying those. But when DC had their answer to Superhero Squad, I couldn't resist not owning one. I actually was torn if I should get the original big seven JLA or the DCNU JLA but since I have no plans of owning a representation of the DCNU JLA in 6 inch form, I guess these guys will have to do. I'm also lending these to my son to get him to familiarize the JLA at an early age. Of course a DC loving dad should have a DC loving son.


1996 Tiger Games Superman LCD Game

Superman LCD Game and Spiderman Key Chain

I also got this pretty cool vintage Superman LCD game by Tiger. As a kid I was pretty fascinated by Tiger Game's LCD handheld games because of their sleek gameplay where the character that you would be playing sports a good visual articulation and multiple movements opposed to the static character that only features straight line movements of traditional LCD games. But alas this Superman game does not share Tiger's more modern games in the early 90's. The good side though is that it sports a vintage feel because of it's traditional LCD gameplay. The objective of the game is to beat a horde of villains (that includes STEEL!?!) by using your heat vision. This is actually the only Superman LCD game that I know of. And since I'm a huge Superman fan, I'm glad that I was able to own a piece of merchandise that is as rare as this. I think this was released in Europe way back in 1996. I also got my brother a Spiderman key chain which has a web climbing gimmick.


Kamandi At Earth's End Mini Series

My comic book hauls were mostly composed of back issues that I missed. As usual most of them are Superman comics. I took special interest in this Kamandi At Earth's End Elseworld six part mini series because it features an aged Superman complete with the long white hair and beard. The story sounded interesting and this has never been collected as a Graphic Novel so I bought the mini series when I saw a complete set of it in the back issue bin. I also got lucky to find a spin off one shot comics of this series titled Superman At Earth's End. So I managed to complete this Elseworld story in one swoop.



The Rest of My Comic Book Hauls

Action Comics 825, Genesis 4. and Superman King of the World (disappointed that there was a print error in this copy, got multiple pages of the same page)
Metropolis Special Crimes Unit Limited Series
Superman plus Legion, Superman Year One, Action Comics 823 and Superman At Earth's End
Batman Annual 25 (Whatever happened to Jason Todd?) and Batman 634 
Deathmate Valiant/Image Crossover, still lacking Deathmate Red
Captain America 1991 Movie Comic Book Adaptation, Star Trek X-men 2nd contact, and Image Comics TMNT 1
DC-MOTUC Group Button Pins courtesy of Jeffrey Quillope

And Finally, I would like to congratulate Jeffrey Quillope for winning the first ever DC-MOTUC Toy Photography contest. Here's his winning entry...

The Flight of Superman
Got one more Toy event to visit. Stay Tuned this December :)


No comments:

Post a Comment