Thursday, July 4, 2013

DC Collectibles: New 52 Superman

DC Collectibles New 52 Superman

Since the Man of Steel had hit theaters, a lot of mainstream audiences where quite at a lost as to why Superman had ditched his red trunks. Well, since the latter part of 2011, DC rebooted their universe and a new Superman emerged, younger, brasher, and without the classic Red Trunks. Read on for more of this development


New 52 Superman

In the latter part of 2011, DC Comics decided to reboot their universe and give it's heroes a fresh take. Fans were divided in reaction to DC's bold move. DC also stated that Batman and Green Lantern (the top selling comic books they had at that time) were not part of the reboot, and would just have their story continue to the new universe. Unfortunately, Superman became a casualty with this move as DC decided it was time to reboot Superman for the new generation. At that time, DC was also in a legal battle against the heirs of Superman's creators Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster for the rights of the Superman character. Many Superman fans took the reboot as a reaction to that pending legal rights case, with DC crafting their own new Superman origin and even coming up with their own Action Comics no. 1. This New 52 Superman (along with the other major Justice League members) would have a new First Appearance in their character bios, stating that they all first appeared in Justice League No. 1. The Superman books (Action Comics and Superman) would also get new creative teams, with Grant Morrison and Rags Morales on Action Comics (more on this later), and George Perez on Superman, with both books being labeled as first issues. This move broke my heart as MY Superman (Modern Age, Byrne to the last Pre New 52 Superman story) bowed out from the main DC Universe continuity. I vowed then not to purchase the New 52 books until DC give proper respect to MY Superman by giving him a proper send off ala Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow (The Bronze Age send off for Superman, giving way to the Modern Age Superman). Almost two years forward, I finally broke that vow by purchasing the second story arc of the Superman book only because Dan Jurgens was taking over the title. Jurgens as I've stated before is my favorite Superman writer/artist as I got into Superman comics because of him. I will be tackling more on that Dan Jurgens run in a future entry. For this particular Superman action figure however, DC Collectibles based this action figure from the art of Jim Lee.    

Justice League We can be heroes Box Set Superman

The Action Figure: I already did a previous review of this action figure when I reviewed him together with the other Justice League members that he came along with in the We Can Be Heroes Box Set. For this entry, I will however share a review of the DC Collectibles New 52 Superman single pack done by fellow Superman Homepage contributor Chris Meaux. His review can be viewed in this link http://www.supermanhomepage.com/other/action-figure-reviews/action-figure-reviews.php?topic=new52sup. I would like to highlight however that the box set Superman and the singles Superman does not share the same head sculpt, making this Box set a variant of the singles one that was released. This action figure is supposed to have been based on the art of Jim Lee but I can't quite figure out which of the two got Jim Lee's Superman facial art. I don't know what seems to be the problem with DC Direct/Collectibles sculptors as they can't seem to perfect their Jim Lee head sculpt. The last Jim Lee action figure that we had also suffered the same problem. Take a peek of that in this link. I skipped on the singles one as I've decided to only hold on to one DC Collectibles Superman action figure and instead spend for Mattel's New 52 Superman. Maybe down the line I might also get that singles released one. But for now I'm still kinda holding back on getting more New 52 Superman action figures and multiply it's numbers on my Superman toy collections. I don't want them to outnumber the classic costumed ones. To this day this Superman figure from DC Direct still stands as the centerpiece of my Superman collection. But as they say, never say never.


Jim Lee?

Back view with the Black S Shield



Wildstorm's Helspont makes an appearance in Dan Jurgen's book

Superman v.s. Helspont

New 52 Batman and Superman


Action Comic Volume 1

Defining comic book in my collection featuring this figure: Though this Superman figure was based from Jim Lee's Justice League Superman art, the so called first appearance of Superman. I did say that I wanted no part of this New 52 reboot. So I skipped Justice League No.1 and the rest of its issues. I however picked up Action Comics no.1 for the sake of "collectability". And also, I always had this love-hate relationship with Grant Morrison's works. I don't know why I'm always seemed drawn to his works despite the fact that his writing style are just too weird for my tastes. I patiently completed his entire New X-Men run, labored on his DC One Million experiment, got my brains twist and turned in his Final Crisis epic, and despite being impressed by his All-Star Superman run, I had mixed emotions on that, as for me it was one of the most inspirational and at the same time one of the most saddest Superman stories ever told. That said, I was planning on getting the Hardcover compilation of Morrison's first story arc, and as I was contemplating on getting the book, my sister in law gifted me one for my birthday. So I guess I was still able to keep my promise of not purchasing a New 52 book (wink wink). But joking aside, I'm driven to complete Morrison's entire run as I remember Morrison once said that all of his Superman works features the same character and continuity. So this New 52 Superman of his, which is set during the New 52 Superman's early years and first public appearance, can be a good supplement to his All-Star Superman. And if I may say, All-Star Superman's origin story. Action Comics Vol. 1 is an origin story that explores Superman's first appearance to the public and how the public reacted to this powerful alien life form. It also deals with Superman's first public battles against the super powered kind, like Metallo and Brainiac. It also briefly touches about the Planet Krypton's origins as well as Superman's early life in Smallville. Morrison's Superman created an uproar among the fans as Morrison wrote him to be more brasher, unpolished, and wild. Which actually harkens back to Superman's first appearance in the original Action Comics no. 1. Morrison made this so because Superman at this stage is younger, and alone. No Ma and Pa Kent to guide him at this stage in this new incarnation. So basically, Superman deals all of his problems and superheroing alone. Superman also no longer wears the red trunks, as we only see him in the initial few issues sporting a Superman T-Shirt and jeans. In the latter part of the book however, Superman finally dons his New 52 costume. The infamous no more red trunks costume. Thus the New 52 Superman's adventure begins.      

New 52 Superman, is he here to stay?

Well that's my thoughts on the New 52 Superman. So far I still have one more New 52 Superman figure on hand up for review, the Mattel DC Comics Unlimited New 52 Superman. But I might be skipping him for the next review since I still haven't taken enough photos of him as he is still somewhere stuck in one of the containers for my house moving. But before I end this entry, I feel the need to write a parting shot for DC Comics. I mean, I can accept this New 52 Superman. Really. But DC has to give the Modern Age Superman a better ending if they indeed have finally decided to shut him down. No, Reign of Doomsday does not cut it. Nor was Grounded. Those stories felt rush. And it lacked the drama and a powerful story of the Modern Age Superman's last days. Though DC is kinda reviving the Modern Age Superman with their digital first comics entitled The Adventures of Superman. But I still would prefer if they just instead give us a "The Last Modern Age Superman Story" and give that Modern Age Superman a proper send off in order not to confuse people. I don't care if they utilize The Adventures of Superman for that. DC can't always try to please both fan base. They eventually have to choose one. And if they are going with this New 52 version, then they better give the Modern Age Superman a proper ending. So what are my thoughts on a possible ending? Well Superman has to die. Superman has to fulfill that promise that the Earth people will be able to rally themselves and become a better race. Or, how about DC doing a Crisis on Infinite Earths style DC Universe spanning event. Not the lame Flashpoint excuse. I would very much like to see the DC Superheroes going up against an evil threat, fighting for their lives, and on the last panel they go through a white light, erasing the old universe and there emerge the New 52 Universe. Yeah, something like that. If DC could only grant me this simple request, then welcoming the New 52 Universe with open arms would have been easier to do.   

No comments:

Post a Comment