Friday, February 3, 2012

The Origin of my Toy Collecting.

1988 DC Comics Superman Doll

If I were to choose which Action Figure/Toy that would best describe as my initiation to Toy collecting, I say this should be it. A 1988 Superman Doll by DC Comics. This stands 11" in height and at that time was one of the most expensive toy that I ever got from my parents. The story behind the acquisition of this doll is one that I would never forget. This doll is actually associated with the opening of a local Fried Chicken food chain called Jollibee in our city. At that time, Jollibee was at it's early stages of it's rise to popularity and somehow the frequent TV ads would entice the children to come and visit their fast food outlet. I was one of those who were guillible. Since it was the grand opening of it's food chain in our city, I was one of those kids who demanded to their parents that I must be brought to Jollibee on that day. But to my dismay, the food outlet was packed by hundreds of crowds. My desire to taste it's fried chicken was left unsatiated.  I was in a fit of tantrum that they had no choice but to bring me to a pizza parlor located at a nearby department store. There was no other person capable of saving my parents from my tantrums on that day except SUPERMAN!




As we were on our way to the Pizza Parlor, I saw this Superman standing on a display shelf looking at me. It looked like he was calling out to me. Now I have always wished for a Superman toy since the Kenner Super Powers came out. I was one of those unlucky kids who never got to own a Superman figure from that toy line. Seeing this massive 11 inch Superman doll made my eyes sparkle. He became my bargaining chip. I blackmailed my parents that the only thing that could stop me from dishing out my tantrum is if they would buy me this Superman (along with a Superman comic book that I unfortunately was not able to preserve today). I remember that at that time, he was a bit pricey. But maybe I have annoyed them so much that they decided to give in and buy me this Superman doll. Purchase was made and the rest was history. At last, I now own a Superman doll that I could play with and show off to my friends. He became one of my favorite toys to play with (as evidenced by it's play wear and tear).



If you guys are familiar with the Toy Story movie series by Disney/Pixar, this Superman doll was my Woody as what Woody was to that kid Andy. I could still reminisce the many occasions that I would simulate Superman flying while humming the Superman theme form the Christopher Reeve movie series. For 23 years and counting, he still is the centerpiece of not only my Superman collection but my entire Toy Collection. At that time, this doll was the perfect creation of any Superman toy that was ever made. In my opinion, it actually has Dan Jurgens' (90's premier Superman writer/artist) reincarnation of Superman's likeness. I even personally believe that it can beat the Superman figure from the Superpowers toy line as the definitive Superman toy of the 80's (sourgraping of not having the chance to own the latter aside). Now I have seen the recent Hot Toys Christopher Reeve Superman proliferating in the market today. And though I admire it's beauty and it's awesome likeness to Christoper Reeve, I would never trade this Superman doll for him (even if my friends have been telling me that it is a sin not to own the Hot Toys Superman if one considers himself as a Superman collector). He still holds a very significant sentimental value for me. I am thinking of restoring him by looking for someone who could do a repaint of this doll. But I am at the same time having second thoughts of having it done because somehow the play wear and tear that this doll proudly wears is my constant reminder of the good times we had together. Or the battles that we fought together. If you guys could help me decide if this Superman needs to be restored to it's old beauty or not, please sound off. I would really appreciate it. So this is an Origin story. But this is not imaginary...... Up Up and Away!        

No comments:

Post a Comment